Health and Human Services
Which pathways are offered?
- Medical Assisting—Students develop the knowledge base, skills, and behaviors that entry-level medical assistants need to succeed. Students are introduced to anatomy and physiology, diagnostic tests, diseases and disorders, treatments, and nutrition.
- Medical Billing and Coding—This pathway prepares students to manage patient data and information, financial information, and use computer applications related to health care processes and procedures.
- Certified Nursing Assisting (CNA)—This pathway prepares students to work under the supervision of licensed health care professionals to perform direct basic nursing care in medical settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, and clinics.
- Pharmacy Technician—This pathway prepares students to assist licensed pharmacists in providing health care and medications to patients in medical settings such as hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, and labs.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Admitting Clerk
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Biller
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Advanced Practical Nurse
- Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)
- Registered Nurse Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample career salaries include:
- Medical Assistant—$32,480/year
- Medical Transcriptionist—$32,250/year
- Medical and Health Services Manager—$98,350/year
- Nursing Assistant—$27,510/year
- Registered Nurse—$70,000/year
- Pharmacy Technician—$ 32,700/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 12, 2019.
Which industry-recognized certification exams can my student prepare for?
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Health Assisting Exam
- NOCTI Medical Assisting exam
- Certified Coding Associate American Health Information Management Association
- Certified Medical Assistant certification
- Certified Nursing Assistant certification
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam